Why the name The Vintage Fairy Godmother?


I love vintage fashion and I get a LOT of ladies asking me where I get my clothes. Since I am always willing to share my good fortune with others, I started passing on the word. Word of mouth can be exhausting so I started carrying the cards of places I frequented and passing them out whenever there was an inquiry( I still do actually). As much as I enjoy spreading the vintage love, I am not an organized person and having scads of cards in my wallet was not helping the messy black hole that is my purse so? I started this blog. I plan to post pictures of all the great stuff I have purchased, include links to my favorite stores and maybe show off some vintage hair? The possiblities are endless.Enjoy!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

I turned 30(I got pictures y'all) , One Shop I Heart, Weave Musings and an Interesting Bit of History..

So remember when I promised to post every Monday?Yeah well, tell that to my Internet. For some reason, I have not be able to publish anything all week. It would time out every time I tried to lay some magic on you in the form of the written word. Argh! All is up and running now, though I have no idea what changed. Ill thank the gods in charge of the Internet post this on Sunday for Monday (just in case)and move on.
So, last week I turned 30. I'm not sure where exactly I expected to be at 30 but I certainly didn't think it would be as f*cking FABULOUS as its  been. I took a step back last week and examined my life.I have a fantastic job that I find fulfilling and enjoy going to every day. I have an amazing fiance who I literally adore ,admire, respect and love. Ive got fantastic friends and my hair is finally doing what I have been training it to do since I was 14. Life is good.Which is surprising.When I think back on how 12 year old me imagined my life the only thing that rings true to that fantasy life is my wardrobe. Don't get me wrong, i am far from satisfied, I am not done lining my closet coffers with more vintage jewels,  I'm just saying . When I look in my closet every morning, it looks just like 12 year old April imagined it would look.Full of vintage gowns and day dresses, 40's heels exploding out and onto the floor and various counters, hats and scarves and belts abound. Perfect.
Perfect is a weird word isn't it? When you say you want something to be perfect you usually mean you want it to turn out just like you had planned in your head.My 30th birthday party? Was perfect.Not that it didn't go off  without a hitch, there were many many hitches but it ended up just the way it should have.My hair looked great, my Frank Starr dress was the bomb and almost all of my closest friends came.We even had surprise guests! Plus, dude, there was burlesque!
We went to Ivan Kane's Cafe Was for their Burlesque review called Forty Deuce. if you click on the link? You can see where we sat . We were eating dinner on those red couches behind the piano. We had a great time, but I only stayed for the first set because I'm an old bird and old birds get tired after 11.Especially when they get up at 4:30 in the morning to go to work.
The Frank Starr Dress was bought at Ryan-Nicole Vintage Attire.  Take a look see at the dress and pictures of the fun! Some of these are blurry  cuz we were drinking and they were taken on a phone.:-D*Pics courtesy of KC because we were tards and forgot our camera*
The Dress.That look on my face? I'm thinking"When is he gonna take the picture?I have cigarettes to smoke and people to call!"
Dacia and I.Looks super hot in the dress I let her borrow no?
This is me super surprised that our friends( My Lover Mans Best Man for the wedding) came.The have 4 kids under the age of 6.2 of em? 1yr old twin boys.I almost plotzed myself.

Here they are! Kenny and Sharon. Love them!
Me, my Lover Man and our  usher for the wedding Kai
                                                    We shared a moment there.
                                            One of my Bridesmaids Ronda, and  yours truly.
Me and my other Bridesmaid Emi.
A sample of what we witnessed at the 40 Deuce.
Attack of the foreheads! A terrible pic of my Maid of Honor K.C and I.
Dacia and I looking Fancy.

I'm waiting on pics from my girl Brenda so there are not many on here. A lot of people couldnt make it but we still had so many folks that Kenny and Sharon had to sit at their own table!Hopefully I get them sometime next week so you can see B's hair! It was bomb.



Mk so,is that dress not awesome? It was only $75 dollars! Ryan's prices are reasonable and? She's a really nice girl.I actually met her when she moved from...somewhere to Los Angeles. Ryan and her boyfriend met me at the coffee shop up the street from me to deliver my dress and hand me a freebie! She is a really sweet girl, I actually meant to extend myself and try to show her around but you guys? I am so busy.I'm not even fake busy! You know what I mean when I say fake busy right? When you tell everyone you have plans and all you really have to do is go shopping and catch up on the  slew of"How to be a Girl" magazines that somehow managed to pile up on the divan, unopened and unread for months. Ahh to experience those fake busy days again. Nowadays,I literally never seem to have a free weekend .Something is always planned, especially since the engagement. So now you know one of my dirty little secrets.
 I'm a crap ambassador for LA. Sorry.

To make up my my lack of ambassadorship , to help out a small business, and because I have been coveting items from her store,I decided to feature it!

Ryan focuses mostly on the 80's so its a great pace to get reasonably priced items from that era. 80's is in for some, and you know what I always say, why buy repro in the mall when you can buy the real deal at a better price? Unless you just like to throw your money away.

 Since we all know I'm more 40's and 50's, the things I picked to feature are from that era, but she has TONS of other items in different era's to choose from.

The first item I'm featuring is a darling little blue  50's velvet vintage purse! Its only $25 dollars! I could totally see you stuffing your mints and lipstick and credit cards in it, all excited about your night out.
I even have the perfect earrings to go with it for you from the shop! These little baubles are only $18 dollars!
last but not least? I love mink y'all.I know its terrible that alla those cute little minks died, but they died like 50 years ago. I cant reincarnate them so I'm gonna make sure those little critters did not die in vain! You want a mink? Buy vintage. I'm not knocking you if you want a new one,I'm just saying the new ones give me the heebie jeebies and Id rather not support any more minks going to the great hearafter because I'm cold. Mk, off my soapbox.
This mink is gorgeous! Only $135.For  REAL MINK! :-O
Here's Ryan rockin it casual style.

Great shiz no? To check out more of her lovely things go here! You wont regret it.

I normally have some sort of silly musings on vintage living but I think today I'm gonna talk about the magic of the weave. Yeah, that's right, the weave. I used to be scared of the weave. I'm not sure what exactly I thought it was. Maybe I thought it would damage my hair somehow, or fall out at an inopportune moment? I don't know, I do know that I was pretty sure that I never wanted to experiment with that particular branch of hair design.
So, you know the blond in my hair in the pictures? Totally fake. I took the partial weave plunge. I had that shiz weaved in because I like to change my hair color, I'm just too lazy to do it myself and I don't enjoy the damage that bleach does to my hair.I like having long nice hair, I don't want to ruin it because I got a bug up my ass to try something new. 
How do I feel about it? Well, I have to admit it feels a little weird when I brush or wash it.Its only weaved in at the top, leaving the rest of my hair free but still, its weird. Its like there is something in there that I need to comb out.Like a monster tangle or something. But I totally get why people get extensions. Its like having a whole new look at the snap of a finger.
If a finger snap took 4 hours. 
I didn't get mine to have my hair longer but I can imagine the amount of time THAT must take.I literally almost started crying I was getting so antsy. Since I don't trust myself to cut it out, Ill have to wait 6 weeks to get it taken out by my beautician. While its going to feel strange having this weave in for that long, I'm going to try and have fun with it, see how many different ways I can use the blond highlights to emphasize my retro hairstyles. 
One of my attempts.

 :-D
Im gonna leave you with a link to a comedy short that I found on Archive.org.Its pretty terrible but also interesting to see an all black cast in 1949. The plot makes practically no sense, but people are dancing  and wearing feathers.I can totally get behind that. See if you can spot the chick totally pretending to sing the horrible horrible song they showcase.Check this shiz out.
Till next Monday My Dears!
Your VFG

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're back! I missed your musings. And holy heck, that dress is FAB! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete